St. Michaels, Alsop-en-le-Dale
Origin of the Allsop/p Name
It was originally a Chapelry in the parish and Deanery of Ashbourne with the church dedicated to St. Michael.
Documented in 1086 as forming part of the land holdings of William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy, King of England the land was called Alsop-en-le-Dale (or the Lands of Alsop). These lands were given to William de Ferrers, 4th Earl of Derby, in 1199. Hugh de Alsop, Crusader and Knight Templar received the land from William de Ferrers, and Gweno de Alsop, then received the land in 1199.
In 1811 village consisted of about 14 houses only ( source: Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811 Section 2 From: 'History of Derbyshire' by David Peter Davies (Makeney - April 10th, 1811). Today, very little remains of the village.
Today, many descendants from the original inhabitants of Alsop-en-le-Dale still reside within the Derbyshire/Nottingham areas, whilst sizeable populations also reside in Australia and the USA, each having direct roots to England.
The Dictionary of British Surnames (Reamy, P.H, 1958; Routledge + Kegan Paul Ltd, London) gives the origin of the Allsopp surname as:
Allsep, Allsepp, Allsop, Allsopp, Allsup, Allsupp, Alsop, Alsopp, Elsip, Elsop:
Gamel de Haleshoppe 1175 P (Db); Philip Alsope 1279 RH (C).
From Alsop en le Dale (Derby), Elleshope DB.